Friday, October 30, 2009

Bipolar Disorder 5

Photobucket

Hi Everyone, I hope your doing well. I am doing good. I have gotten a little behind on my blogging this week, but I am getting back on track. This week here in Boston there was an attack on a Doctor by her psychiatric patient. Well because it was someone with a mental illness it made big news. On my local news channel they had to call in a Doctor to discuss what Bipolar disorder is. Once again they don't get it. They talked about the disease but failed to mention that all murders are committed by only 5 percent of the mentally ill. Leaving the other 95 percent of murders committed by so called "normal people". I gets me so frustrated sometimes. So to end the Stigma I will fight on. Thanks for visiting my blog, Take Care, Janet :)

Bipolar disorder has no cure, but can be effectively treated over the long-term. It is best controlled when treatment is continuous, rather than on and off. In the STEP-BD study, a little more than half of the people treated for bipolar disorder recovered over one year's time. For this study, recovery meant having two or fewer symptoms of the disorder for at least eight weeks.

However, even with proper treatment, mood changes can occur. In the STEP-BD study, almost half of those who recovered still had lingering symptoms. These people experienced a relapse or recurrence that was usually a return to a depressive state.49 If a person had a mental illness in addition to bipolar disorder, he or she was more likely to experience a relapse.49 Scientists are unsure, however, how these other illnesses or lingering symptoms increase the chance of relapse. For some people, combining psychotherapy with medication may help to prevent or delay relapse.42

Treatment may be more effective when people work closely with a doctor and talk openly about their concerns and choices. Keeping track of mood changes and symptoms with a daily life chart can help a doctor assess a person's response to treatments. Sometimes the doctor needs to change a treatment plan to make sure symptoms are controlled most effectively. A psychiatrist should guide any changes in type or dose of medication.

1 comment:

  1. Being a Borderline, with a disease without a cure, I know that working with someone that understands you is really the most important. On another note, we really pick the same types of serenity pictures!

    ReplyDelete