Friday, January 29, 2010
Family to Family
Hi Everyone I hope you are doing well, I am doing good. I thought this informatioln would be helpful for you if you are living with someone with Mental Illness. I wish there were more places around like this when I was growing up. I included a link where you can find out where there is a local one for you. I know it is greatly needed for these families and I am glad to see they now have these programs. Thanks for visiting my blog, Take Care, Janet:)
Family to Family Education Program
What is NAMI’s Family-to-Family Program?
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illnesses.
* The course is taught by trained family members
* All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
* Over 115,000 family members have graduated from this national program
A tribute video containing moving testimonials about the Family-to-Family program from family members and course instructors.
What does the course include?
Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
* Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
* Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
* Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
* Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
* Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
* Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
* Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
* Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
How can I find a course in my area?
Family-to-Family classes are offered in hundreds of communities across the country, in two Canadian provinces, Puerto Rico, and Mexico.
Click second part of the link
NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness | Home">NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness | Home