Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Live a Life That Matters

Hi Everyone, I hope you are all doing well. Last night I said goodbye to a dear man named Fred Hakala. He has been a part of my life since I was 11 years old and my sister married his son. I know this is said often about people who pass, but in Fred's case it is so true, to know him was to love him. I am so grateful that he was in my life and how he will be missed at all our family gatherings, especially at Christmas. He was a regular on my nephew's, (Robert Hakala) morning radio show every holiday season sharing the Finnish traditions, he was a funny guy to listen too. As Pete and I left his wake in our hometown of South Weymouth, I reflected on my life as we drove along, looking at our old stomping grounds too that now seem like a lifetime away. I couldn't help but feel a little sad that most of our families elders are gone, except my father in law. Now we are becoming the elders in the family. It's truly time for me to fulfill their roles and set a good example for the next generation. A responsibility I am ready to take on. At the same time I also thought about how blessed I have been to have had them all in my life. I thought about how grateful I am to still have the love of my life next to me that I met there almost 30 yrs ago. I realized as well that I am so fortunate to have another chance to start my life over this year. I will live a life that matters as Fred and his wife Doris and my Parents and Elsie did, all I have to do is follow their example, it's that simple. This is a tribute to their lives and inspiration for us to follow.
Thanks for visiting my blog,
Love ya,
Janet :)

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. This made me cry. I am a crier. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a family elder. What a cherished position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pink, I think that is so sweet that it made you cry, it shows that you have a compassionate and tender heart, thank you so very much for your comment, it meant the world to me today,
    Janet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful, anyone would wish such an epitaph from a friend. Judging from your writing, Janet, you have all the qualities a good elder needs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Janet I am so sorry to hear this news. I became the elder in our family ages ago. It really does give one something to think about.

    It's still so hard for me to believe that I am the matriarch now.

    Big hugs for you!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Jackie and Francis, I appreciate your kind words more than you'll ever know!
    Hugs to you both,
    Janet :)

    ReplyDelete