Wednesday, April 20, 2011

THIQ and Crossing The Line Into Alcoholism

Hello Everyone, I received this information in a group I attend. I thought it was important to share with all of you in my series on addiction. Reading this article helped me understand the effects Alcohol had on me. I'm sure you have all heard terms such as "Wet Brain" in reference to an Alcoholic. Science now tells us it is true. The brain is eventually effected after years of drinking Alcohol. If someone becomes a chronic drinker, such as daily use, chances are they will eventually cross the line into Alcoholism. T.H.I.Q will build up in a person's brain because physically our bodies are not meant to handle all that Alcohol, it is toxic, it is like a poison. The good news is we all can recover from the effects of THIQ when we abstain from alcohol. This is also why you hear many people in recovery talk about not being in a fog anymore, and the crazy part is that you don't even realize you are in a fog, not seeing everything as clearly as you should, until you go into recovery. I hope this information helps you or someone you may be concerned about in the way that it helped me. Most of all I hope this helps you to be more understanding and compassionate towards an Alcoholic.
Thanks for visiting my blog,
Love ya,
Janet :)

Photobucket

T.H.I.Q. --Biochemical Culprit

T.H.I.Q. was discovered in brains of alcoholics in Houston, Texas by a scientist named Virginia Davis who was doing cancer research. For her study she needed fresh human brains and used bodies of homeless winos who had died during the night and were picked up by Houston police in the morning. She discovered in the brains of those chronic alcoholics a substance that is closely related to Heroin. This substance, known to scientists, is called Tetrahydrolsoqulnoline or THIQ. When a person shoots heroin into their body, some of it breaks down and turns into THIQ. The Alcoholics studied had not been using heroin so how did the THIQ get there? When the normal adult drinker takes in alcohol, it is very rapidly eliminated at the rate of about one drink per hour. The body first converts the alcohol into something called Acetaldehyde. This chemical is VERY TOXIC and if it were to build up inside us, we would get VIOLENTLY SICK AND COULD DIE. But Mother Nature helps us to get rid of acetaldehyde very quickly. She efficiently changes it a couple of more times - into carbon dioxide and water - which is eliminated through kidneys and lungs. That's what happens to normal drinkers. It also happens with alcoholic drinkers, but with alcoholic drinkers something additional happens. What Virginia discovered in Huston has been extensively confirmed since. In alcoholic drinkers, a very small amount of poisonous acetaldehyde is not eliminated. Instead it goes to the brain. There through a very complicated biochemical process, it winds up as THIQ.

Research has found the following:
1. THIQ is manufactured in the brain and only occurs in the brain of the alcoholic drinker. It is not manufactured in the brain of the normal social drinker of alcohol.
2. THIQ has been found to be highly addictive. It was tried in experimental use with
animals during the Second World War when we were looking for a painkiller less addicting than morphine. THIQ was a pretty good pain killer but it couldn't be used on humans. It turned out to be much more addicting than morphine.
3. Experiments have shown that certain kinds of rats cannot be made to drink alcohol. Put in a cage with very weak solution of vodka and water, these rats refuse to touch it. They will literally thirst to death before they agree to drink alcohol. However, if you take the same kind of rat and put a minute quantity of THIQ into the rat's brain -- one quick injection -- the animal will immediately develop a preference for alcohol over water.
4. Studies done with monkeys, our close animal relative in medical terms, show the
following:
A. Once the THIQ is injected into a monkey's brain, it stays there.
B. You can keep the monkey dry, off alcohol, for 7 years. Brain studies show that THIQ remains in place in the brain.
The alcoholic's body, like normal drinkers, changes the alcohol into acetaldehyde and then it changes most of it into carbon dioxide and water, which in the end kicks out through the kidneys and lungs. However, the alcoholic's bodies won't kick all these chemicals out. The Alcoholic's brain holds a few bits back and transforms them into THIQ. As THIQ is accumulated in the brain of an alcoholic, at some point, maybe sooner, maybe later, the alcoholic will cross over a shadowy line into a whole new way of living. It is not known by medical science, at this time, where this line is or how much THIQ an individual brain will pile up before one crosses this line. Some predisposed people cross the line while they're teenagers, or earlier. Others cross in their 30's or 40's and others after retirement. But once this happens the alcoholic will be as hooked on alcohol, as he would have been hooked on heroin, if he'd been shooting that instead. With the loss of control, the complex symptoms have become chronic. All aspects of physiology have become progressive and incurable. Now it is clearly a disease.

GOOD NEWS:
1. Alcoholism is a disease.
2. Alcoholism is not the alcoholic's fault.
3. Alcoholics can get proper treatment for the disease,
which begins with telling them these facts.
4. The alcoholic can be relieved of guilt.
5. The alcoholic can take on responsibility for
arresting their disease.
6. The alcoholic can refuse to put more THIQ in their
brains and refuse to activate the THIQ that is already there.
7. Alcoholics can and do recover!

13 comments:

  1. Jan,

    Although I believe in being able to quit 100%, I don't think there is a true recovery from this disease.

    Although I almost have 18 months completely sober, and all the toxins removed, I know one drink would put me right back where I was.

    I do think it's habits. I do think it's conditioning.

    But for some reason, AA, although I do not attend, has that part correct. Once a drunk, always a drunk.

    If I can tell you differently, I will let you know. This is why I am staying sober. I know I can fall by my own hand in a flash.

    xoxoxo

    Kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimmy, good to hear from you, I agree with you on everything, but along with the conditioning I think ya, maybe there is something there, like the THIQ that helps send us right back. I do not attend AA either, I got this from my court ordered group at Highpoint. AA is a great program, especially in the beginning, but I find I tend to get depressed instead of feeling better listening to everyone's "War Stories" There is also a new program called Smart Recovery that teaches a person to undo that conditioning, retrain the addictive mind, that I will be writing about too, you can check them out online and they have online meetings that is a program you graduate from, not like AA! Congradulations on your 18 months! You inspire me to keep at it too, I am at 10 months :)
    xoxoxo to you
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad died from alcoholism and I wish he had been able to get help. I was just a teen but I wish I could have helped him more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pink, good to hear from you too, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. So many people don't get the help they need, but they might not realize the total effects of the alcohol as well. We are more educated today than we were years ago, My Dad also had his issues with Alcohol. I know how you feel, he died too young, only 53 yrs old from Heart Disease, whether or not Alcohol played apart in that, I'm not sure I'll ever know. At least we can learn from them to take better care of ourselves.
    Take Care,
    Janet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The roots of alcoholism are complex - biochemical, genetic, behavioural. When these line up together, then, zing!

    Regardless of this, there's only one way to "treat" it and that's abstinence. An alcoholic is someone who can't control their treatment of alcohol; any alcoholic who thinks they can do so is fooling themselves. Therapy and self-help groups are what help you realise this and also help you build up a fulfilled and contented life for yourself without booze.

    And yes, of course it's important to realise and accept that it's a disease. In that sense, guilt has no place in the equation. What is important is taking responsibility for all the crap you caused while you were drinking - without sinking into self-pitying guilt, which is a sure way to a relapse.

    To In the Pink I would say that there is no need for any relative of an alcoholic to feel guilty. The ghastly thing about this disease is that the road to recovery always has to begin with the addict him/herself admitting their powerlessness in the face of alcohol and themselves taking the first step (however small) to get help in dealing with it.

    The most funadamental leason any recovering alcoholic must learn: While there may be all sorts of deep reasons for the things we do, none of them absolve us from the fundamental fact of responsibility - responsibility for ourselves and what we do, or do not do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Francis, I appreciate your input on this subject. I do agree with you about taking responsibility for all the stuff we did while when we are drinking, I think the article should speak to that a little more, I think it is just focused more on easing the guilt. Thank you for your kind words to Pink as well. Your a sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As an addictions counselor I've been teaching about THIQs for the past 15 years and am making a Power Point presentation to help professionals explain it to clients.
    Vivitrol is a controlled release opiate/THIQ blocker injection that is now being used to cut cravings and help alcoholics stay sober.
    George Swanberg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the information George, that is good news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am BiPolar I was severely abused as a child. I have taken every mood stabilizer and anti psychotic and combos of them I think is possible to no avail. I began ECT a year ago and now I can't remember very important things in my life. My last ECT was three months ago and afterwards I lost control of my bladder. I have lost my husband because of my mental illness, some friends, and countless others in my life. I have no regrets and am grateful for the compassion and love I now how. I have a relationship with my Creator and that keeps me sane and happy. My Father was in the US Navy and fought in the Korean & Vietnam wars, he said he contracted something in Vietnam (although there is no proof of that). He died many years later as I watched (and helped him) until he passed away from "cancer" (squamous cell carcinoma). There is no proof according to The State of TX that THC prevents and stops the spread of cancer even though Harvard has some pretty amazing statistics. My organs are failing (bladder, kidneys) at this time in my life. I am 40 years old I have 3 precious children (8yrs old, 12, & 15). My phone number is 832-544-0808, I am looking for mercy, peace, and a pain free life... any ideas? I refuse chemo, radiation, & would only accept THC at this point. I am not an addict and never have been although I used many drugs from the age 15 until 25 always marijuana until Dec. 09, 2010. I know I damaged my brain, I know marijuana helped my anxiety & depression. I know how to control my mood with coping skills what I don't know is what is happening to my brain and body. I do not trust most American Drs although I've spent the past eight years listening and being compliant with them. I live in The Woodlands, TX. I've done much research and experienced allot in my life I want to share it before I get to a point where I can't anymore so feel free to call me. Agape', Anna Jordan <

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading the above drug аdԁісtіon statiѕtics, consideг
    the number of рeople that do not admіt to theiг аddictions
    oг drug use because of еmbarrassment.
    The number of cocаinе useгs is іnсrеasing day by ԁаy.
    The addict is pгeѕсribed а mіnd
    or mоoԁ аltering drug, and they start taking the prescгibed medication, аnԁ then they
    shortly go baсk tο thеiг drug of сhoice, even
    if it hаs been years sіnce last using that subѕtanсe.
    Drug abuse statіstics truly are very useful when it сomes to detеrminіng how
    big аn effect the use of nаrcοtics or scheduled medicatiοnѕ are having on our
    modеrn day socіеty but are they a truе reflection of
    the epidеmiс which is ѕpiraling out of
    cοntrοl іn οur modern dаy society.

    Fortunatеly, treatmentѕ arе available to hеlp peоρle ωho are struggling
    ωith this dangerous ԁiѕease.

    Drug addіctіon statіstics is beneficial for the soсiety by displaуing realistic eνidence that certain
    dгugs are becoming a prοblem. Ιf уou or someone you know іѕ recovering from an aԁdictiοn to any substancе, this аrticlе is for you.
    - Ιllicіt pгescгіptiοn drug abuse has гisen
    500% from the year 1990.

    Check out my web-site :: About drug Abuse
    Feel free to surf my weblog ; alcohol rehab centers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Οne interesting aѕpect of meth addictіon is thаt, despіte the ρгominence
    of somе grouрs іt dоes affect
    people of all social, religiоus, ethnic and financial backgrounds.
    This dοeѕ not includе the additional 15
    billion sрent on medical cost. Thе сlients
    arе brought into recovery and enсouraged to stay motivated even after the rеgular sessions in the drug rehab
    centerѕ. But therе are drug гehab centers, which arе making thе path to a nοrmal life much easier fоr the person involved.
    Drug abusе anԁ addiction have negatiѵe consequences for individual and ѕociety.
    Тhe big drug adԁіction problem facіng Americа, aсcoгdіng
    to drug addiction statistіcs, lies not in thе crack
    houѕes and shooting galleries of thе innеr citieѕ, but
    in the doctoг's offices to which millions of Americans go in search of relief for their physical and emotional pain. 8% from the years 2002-2010. Despite the fact that meth addiction statistics in the United States indicate decreasing numbers of addicts, meth addiction continues to be a worldwide epidemic that has seen little change in the last decade.

    Here is my webpage :: substance abuse and Addiction
    Stop by my homepage :: how to quit drinking

    ReplyDelete
  12. First, Virginia Davis was an alcoholism researcher not a cancer researcher. Second she discovered THIQ in the brains of rats given alcohol. She wasn't working with cadavers just given over to her by the police department. Think about it-do you think police can just turn over bodies for medical research the morning after they are the bodies are discovered.

    Some papers have said some people produce THIQ in response to alcohol while others don't. However, THIQ producers/ non-producers doesn't correlate all that well with alcoholic non-alcoholic. THIQ research hit a dead end and I can not find a paper on THIQ and alcohol or alcoholism witten more recently than 1996.

    I'm not saying there is no biological or genetic component to alcoholism. I am putting forward though that I don't think THIQ is the Holy Grail of discerning the biological factors involved. Also a lot of THIQ stories are really faulty and the stuff of urban legend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking into THIQ theory after hearing about it years ago. There is very little information to support it and a lot of information contradicting it.

      As was pointed out, the story itself doesn't seem realistic.

      First, cadavers are provided to medical student from a number of well regulated sources. Getting "still warm" bodies from "skid row" doesn't seem very professional. In addition, they knew they weren't heroin users because they couldn't afford heroin. Also not the type of control you would want in a scientific study.

      I have seen the story repeated on a number of poorly designed websites, but I've yet to find a single reliable source reference it.

      If true, this would be a big deal. It's a great story, but unfortunately, it seems like an urban legend.

      Delete